Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Let It Shine



May it be a light to you in the dark places, when all other lights go out. 

--J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring


Today my son and I went on a short drive together and stopped off at a discount store. I was in search of candles. I  know this may not sound like a difficult task, but when you live in a small, secluded town, sometimes even the simple things can be difficult to find. 

Our out-of-town excursion didn't result in exactly what I was looking for, but I made do. After all, it wasn't the aesthetics I was seeking. Ultimately, it was the meaning. 

This year, I'm going to light evening candles in a reverse Advent way. I have six small candles for each week of Lent. I will light them all the first week, one less the following, and so on so that by Good Friday, there will be no candles lit. It will be, as the world must have felt, in darkness. On Easter, I will light them all again so they blaze and I will light the tall green candle as the final celebration. I chose green because it represents growth and life. 

May the Light shine for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please join me in our 40-Day celebration of Lent and renewal. Whether you are making this journey with a specific faith intention or as a time to celebrate stillness and renewal, follow along.  


10 comments:

  1. Love the quote from Tolkien. I like you idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful way to observe Lent and celebrate the Resurrection! Very nice sentiment, Julie.

    M.L. Swift, Writer

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really great idea, and I love the symbolism behind it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an inexpensive way to add a little ceremony to Lent.

      Delete
  4. This could turn into a new tradition for your family, Julie.

    I have cousins who carry on their mother's tradition of lighting candles for those who are facing crises of any kind. It's a way to remind them to keep those folks in their thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this idea, Pat. I attend a monthly Taize service and they do the same. Up front are tea lights, and you can go up and light a candle for those who need prayers, or just in memory of someone you loved. It's a very reverent time.

      Delete
  5. Green is one of my favorite colors.

    ReplyDelete